As much as moving and building again stresses me out, I will admit that I absolutely LOVE to decorate and plan the new builds. This time, we get a second shot at doing what we didnt do the first time or changing what we disliked. For the most part, we were really happy with the way our last build came together (it probably didn't hurt that we weren't there long enough to hate anything). We did however, complain about having carpet on the first floor with our dogs and wanted to make those wood throughout, as well as have a bigger master shower. We previously did a tub/shower combo but the shower was pretty narrow. So narrow that if I didn't want to wash my hair I had to put on a shower cap because it was gettin wet regardless! This house we are currently building, we did away with the soaking tub. I mean lets face it, I wish I had more time to drawl a bubble bath and pour some red but the reality is, I enjoy my nice long steam showers on the reg. So this time we did a big vanity walk in shower + sitting bench and called it a day. There's a guest tub if I'm ever feeling the need to Epsom Salt ;)
We also added a mud room off the garage with built -ins for the 'drop all area' and put the laundry room all the way upstairs vs. off the main floor hallway. We added stone up the fireplace wall to ceiling instead of doing the tile surround, and we picked a home with a front porch vs the last one which had none. The part that I'm looking forward to the most is the Craftsman details. We made some changes to the existing front door option, the porch posts and the garage to give it that Craftsman 'feel'. I know I previously mentioned everything is brick in this town and we wanted to stand out a bit from all of the rest. I figure if I dont like the brick, at least that's offset with my 'dream home' details which are Crafstman. We did the Crafstman porch posts in white instead of' Colonial Round' as they are naturally designed, and added the windows and hardware to the garage doors as well as put in a door with a ledge and windows all around to tie it all together. It's really difficult to invision an entire home coming together based on the mere samples they show you at the design center but we did our best. We went completely left field and picked a brick we haven't seen on a home in this area (most are red brick or orange/brown brick) and we picked a white washed multi tone color mixed with earth colors and did a shake siding that I'm hoping to G turns out ok. It looks great with the brick but isn't a color I'd pick otherwise- think sage/taupe. Here's a pick of the brick color and the darkest color will be the sides/back of the home. The pic below shows the colors together with the black shutter tone and white garage/post color all tied together. You can see what a small idea in a brightly lit studio we had to go off of.
We picked really dark brown wood floors and tall white baseboards. The kitchen choices we went with were all white as well (even though the last house we had a dark granite contrast, this one I'm thinking all white as we now have a dark floor as contrast). Some pics I used for 'Pinspiration' are below.
This house has an eat in kitchen off the kitchen, before the sliding doors to the back yard, so I'm thinking of designing a built in off to the side like this one to still give us room to move & let dogs out, etc. Love. this. look.
Here are some of the craftsman front doors I love! Ours will be black to start with, but I may get fancy and pant it bold like the one below since the exterior is overall very neutral. It will however have the unique ledge and windows above and on the side.
Ugh, is it February yet? I cannot wait to see the final product.
xoxo,
Andi









Exciting!!! Love the deets you guys went with. Can't wait to visit.
ReplyDelete