Pages

Monday, November 18, 2013

"Chance encounters"

There is no doubt in my mind that some people are put in your lives during exact moments of need.  I've had two recent scenarios that stand out amongst a lifetime of others. I don't call these chance encounters or coincidences but prefer to think of them as little jolts or reminders from God.

 
My first encounter was a few months back when I had to meet with one of my distributor reps for a lead an at account. She needed me to talk to a doc about B. Braun pain trays so I brought in samples and met her for the first time at the account. When I got there we started chatting it up in the waiting room as the doc was running late and the easiest topic to kick off the intro was her pregnancy. You could clearly tell that she was over half way through it and we got to gabbing about how she was feeling, was it a boy or girl, etc. She was very easy to talk to and before I knew it we were already at the topic of how long it took her and her husband to TTC. She later (at lunch) told me she couldn't believe how open she was with me about it all from the get go as she hadn't even told most of her closest friends about their 'troubles' but felt like she could openly express those things with me. Let me preface this by saying she had no idea that my husband and I were TTC or becoming impatient in the fact that we hadn't yet. She started to tell me how after all results came back 'unexplained infertility', and after trying for nearly 2 years, that they decided to move forward with a specialist and alternate methods and that the baby boy brewing in her belly was her first try at an IUI! Although her end result is not our current end result, we made fast friends and the floodgates opened on our experience and a fast friendship ensued. She is due THIS FRIDAY and I am just beaming with joy for her. The week of her delivery is finally here, when at one point in her life she never thought it would happen, and I know that she was placed in my life as a sounding board and a testimony to have patience and peace with all of this.

People in similar shoes have been coming out of the woodwork since I've been open to talking about this process. People who are actually in much worse shoes, so it has also reminded me to be thankful of the ones I wear although they are not perfect. A close friend I cheered with and her husband have been trying well, for always. Ever since they started dating really, there were no 'boundaries' as they were of age and ready for children. Once married, and years went by, they finally started to look into what the issue may be. Come to find out she has a congenital disease that has basically shut down one of her ovaries, and the other functioning one has low egg reserve. She will soon go into menopause and she isn't even mid 30's. To add to that, her husbands sperm count is very low. They will try IVF in the Spring, although doctors don't predict a positive result, and will begin the adoption process from there if IVF fails.

A new friend in town {who is one of the coaches wives} & her husband have also been trying for awhile and recently opened up to me over dinner about their story. It absolutely just breaks my heart. Her husband was diagnosed with Leukemia a few years back and went through chemo. As we all know, the drug is very potent and strongly correlates with the minimizing of sperm count. His Dad is a Hem/Onc MD and recommended that he freeze some sperm in case he were to marry and want children someday. Well, today is someday & when they had his sperm tested the result was 0. Literally, zero. By the grace of God & the smarts of his Father, they have their ONE vial of sperm on freeze and will have their ONE attempt at IVF. Even more strange, she drives an hour south to the very same specialist I going to! She stopped seeing him last year and has been "pending" on her move forward due to his dry bedside manner & is hopeful after my take on him to finally begin the IVF process there again. What are the odds?

It sure makes me thank my lucky stars for my health and reminds me to be mindful that although it's not happening as quickly as I'd like it to, that I need to have patience and faith that it will in the end. My situation is certainly one that I'd gladly take over some others out there. Although you may not be going through the exact same hurdle in life, everyone has one. It's worth talking about and finding a community of people who can relate and be of strength to you when you are feeling weak. I'm learning patience. I'm learning to give myself a break. And most of all, I'm learning how to be a better support system to others. I am a work in progress on this saying below, but I am trying.  




Xoxo,

Andi 

No comments:

Post a Comment