Maybe it's because I've lived in locations without many friends nearby in the past, or because I work without co-workers when I'm in my 'office on wheels' and am alone often, or perhaps its because I was a bartender through college and know that with their company, you're never quite alone; I feel that there is absolutely nothing wrong with a person dining solo. I have had this discussion with my gf Stephanie many a times as she is the type of person who has to order 'to go' or have the phone glued to her ear while she is at the grocery so not to feel like she is dining or shopping alone, GASP! She isn't the only one that feels this way, as I've talked to other friends of mine when I'm dining alone who immediately respond to my 'oh hey, I'm just grabbing dinner at Bdubs and cant hear well, can I call you back'? with a "Who are you with? What, you're alone??!!' many many a time before. I love grabbing a magazine or newspaper that I otherwise wouldn't have the chance to absorb and enjoy my food in the silence of my own thoughts. Why would you invite someone to join you out of fear of being embarrassed to enjoy some alone time? I think that is far more disturbing than enjoying ones self.
Last weekend I did the dine alone thing twice as Blair was out of town for a coaches conference, and friends were doing the ol' Halloween gig (which I had 0 interest in doing this year). So, Saturday night I went to Bdubs to catch the first half of the Buckeyes over a frothy cold one and a naked tender wrap (my fave) before hibernating in the 'movie room' for the second half. Per usual, I sat at the bar and was approached by the manager SEVERAL times not asking how my food was or how my service was, but asked me each time 'Ma'am is everything okay?' or 'Are we doing okay tonight?' all wide eyed and somber looking, like I lost my puppy dog or the love of my life or something!!? It didn't upset me that he did this, nor did it alter my enjoyment of my food, drink & large screen--but the icing was put on the cake on my way out with his 'please come back again ma'am, we really enjoyed having you, hope you have a better night' comment. Have a better night? I had a FINE night thank you very much.
Sunday, I went to my usual spot to flip through records to add to the collection down in the Short North and was craving my old 'go to', TASI for their oh so fab-u-los Greek Yogurt and Mamosas! Again, I'm asked as I place my order 'how many are in the rest of your party'? 'Nope, just me', I replied with a huge happy grin on my face. "Oh, just one, okay... (forced grin) perfect, what can I get you"..... and again, I'm the poor girl who has no friends who has to dine alone!! I know, I know, at this point in the story you're probably rolling your eyes to yourself thinking,' really Andi, were they really acting that bad? Maybe you're making this worse than it is from your own insecurities of dining alone?!' ...truthfully, I'm not. I think more people should give it a go. It's actually quite nice & I must say I savor and enjoy the food that I eat solo 100x better than I do when I'm wolfing in bites in between long catch up session conversations +1. It's good to get away for some 'me time', in whatever way that is for you, but I promise that if you truly try to enjoy your Party of One event when you make a go of it, I'm certain your efforts to your 'self' will be appreciated. Go on, I dare you......
The ever so amazing TASI Greek Yogurt & fresh orange squeezed Mamosa!
I dine by myself too on occasion, and my friends always think that I am 'depressed" or "brooding" but honestly, sometimes I like to dine alone. I can take my time to really enjoy my food. I have been out with friends who have seen solo diners and have made comments like, "Awww, isn't it sad the he/she is all alone?" Does everyone think this way? I probably eat alone about once a week. It is my "Me" time and I am not ashamed! Oh, and I am really not a fan of shopping-well at least grocery-with people. I know what I want, and I get it and get out!
ReplyDeleteOh, and btw, the Greek yogurt looks ah-mazin.