Pages

Monday, November 14, 2011

Coaches Wife

Well, it's here. It's here and it's in FULL FORCE. Like it or not--it's Basketball Season people--aka I'm a widow of a living man for the next six months. This time of year Blair is in the limelight alot, and always receiving a ton of questions about the team, what talent he has, what season is going to look like, etc. Last weekend Coach Mo from Athletes in Action came to practice with over 100 coaches that were in town from allover the world. Coach Mo was the individual who got Blair involved in the trip to China to coach the USA Basketball team last summer, so it was wonderful to get to see him again. Coach Mo is just an amazing individual, Blair & I sometimes wonder if he's even human and not put on this earth from God himself. Honestly, his spirit and faith & the walk the talk that he has about his Christianity is just so profound. Anywho, he & all the coaches came to watch Blair's practice and all were very impressed. They spent time at other high schools and colleges while in Ohio and were so impressed at how he runs his practices; "much like they do at the college level & better". Hey, I'm a proud wife what can I say? The man works AROUND THE CLOCK and really truly has a passion for the game. So, for the first time I was asked by one of the Hispanic translators that was there with the coaches what it was like to be a 'Basketball Coaches Wife'? My first response was to smile & roll my eyes, lol. Because truthfully I don't even know how to respond to that question. Being a basketball coaches gf/wife requires an individual who is very independent and doesn't need alot of attention in the relationship, because honestly you barely even see them for half of the year and when you do everyone is talking about basketball. I grew up in Kentucky with a sister who was en golfed in basketball (along with the entire state of KY with Ricki P coaching the Wildcats) 24/7. At one point in my life I loved the game, but much like people say about Ohioans and that all we live for is 'Buckeye Football', that's how I started to view my relationship with Kentucky Basketball once I was removed from the scene and living in Ohio. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the game, especially when its the team my husband coaches, but there is a level of resentment the game takes on when it's taking your man for 6 months out of 12. I cant imagine how it will feel when we have kids. Who knows, probably better since I'll have some little rugrats to hang with and bring to the games. I told this gentleman that the only pro to being a HS Basketball Coaches Wife is the joy that it puts on my husbands face & the passion that comes out of his pores. I'm just fine with playing second fiddle to the game for half the year for the fulfillment that it brings my husband. But again, i enjoy spending time to myself and don't require a ton of attention during season as long as the minimal time spent with Blair is valuable time spent together. It's not an easy role to play, not many women can do it, but I also grew up in a household where my Dad coached and/or was gone for work all the time. Sports have always been a way of life to my family, and I don't see it being any different for Blair & I's family in the future.




Blair & Coach Mo in China




USA USA USA!


Coach Mo, well, being Coach Mo...




      


DeSales Tourney Champs 2010


All Time Winning Coach @ DeSales 2010-2011




Ok, so there are SOME perks to being a Coaches wife :)
Clark Kellogg & I



This season I decided that while he was out to play, I would be too! I had the opportunity to be the assistant Gymnastics coach at Dublin Coffman HS and took it without hesitation (okay maybe a little as my work schedule is NUTS & is far from a 9-5 role) but I'm really enjoying being back in the arena again and it absolutely was the right choice to make. The girls are great and are really talented, I'm looking forward to competition season that's just around the corner. At least I'll be too busy to notice the time away from my husband, right? Now he can answer what it's like to be a coaches husband--ha-- hardly the same... GO ROCKS & GOOOOOO STALLIONS!!


xox-
Andi

No comments:

Post a Comment