Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

Santorini, the Granddaddy of them all!

Sunday, August 19th-Santorini

I should have known after three high speed ferries in the past seven days that (unlike those) when we all unloaded onto the closed vessel of the ship to get off and opened the massive 30 x 50 foot door for the grand reveal/exit that we would be embarking onto the best island of all. < insert gasp> 
I kid you not, I choked back tears of happiness and awe as we wound up the cliffs of Santorini to our hotel overlooking the water to Volcano View Hotel & Villas, and if there's one thing I rarely do publicly, its cry. The island of Santorini is set in a magnificent cliff with a view so grand it's indescribable. Seriously. You all MUST come here before you die; although if you don't, I'm absolutely certain that this is Earth's last stop for us before we get to Heaven. If Heaven is more beautiful than this then everyone should start believing in it because I'm not overreacting when I tell you, it would be hard to get better than here. Blair has traveled all over the world and as he put it, 'I should have never put it past you to pick the absolute #1 Bucket List destination that could ever exist, this is the most beautiful place I've ever seen', and it is. Santorini is unlike Athens, Paros and Naxos simply because you overlook the sea onto volcanoes & islands dated back to B.C, and an endless horizon of water and sunsets that only Bob Ross could paint. I'm dreaming...pinching myself...awaiting my alarm clock to go off in Ohio to then only imagine a Greece/place that is so grand, much like I've done the past 10 years, ever since I fell in love with the idea of Greece. Everything I've imagined this paradise to be has fallen short to its reality. This island & trip has far surpassed my expectations. 
#1 Bucket List, check! A well deserved #1 spot. It's breathtaking.....Oh, and the wine is finally "normal" here :) le sigh....

Monday Aug 20
I hate the part of vacation where you are over the hump in the trip and are turning the corner when time is closer to your travel home than it has been time away. We are home on the 25th after three nights in Istanbul and only have tomorrow left in Santorini. Booo. I guess all good things must come to an end, unfortunately. 
Today we spent gathering goodies for some of our loved ones while shopping in the uptown area. We met a man who owned an art store and also did the pieces himself as well as his father and daughter. We fell in love with much of their work, that of which mom, Vicki and a small token for ourselves was purchased to remember authentic Santoroni. We also found a third generation leather maker who was hand making bags and wallets, etc that we scooped some great leather finds from for Trent. He has been caring for our home & our fur babies while were away & I am certain they are running wild on him. After wine tasting and picking our favourite two bottles, I finally got my spa treatment I've been dying for. It. Was. Wonderful. I went for the full body deep tissue (standard) while Blair went into the steam, sauna and 'heated bed' room. I think masseuses' speak a universal language because regardless of where I receive them their hands ALL drill into the same troubled areas. Most of the time I spend wondering how they do this vs. relaxing...
Although this place is pretty darn close to heaven, there are a few things that we find funny and/or annoying about being in a country unlike ours. We have started a running list: 

1. Smoking was so 10 years ago...everyone still smokes here, even in restaurants & they have no regard for those around them who don't. 
2. Popped collars, also soooo 10 years ago. As well as swim shorts that your little brother could wear (I've seen so many love handles & buttcracks I could cry) -not attractive.
3. Know what the English means on your shirt before you purchase it. ie:
Young Girl carrying balloons wearing a tank that says 'BAD GIRL' or the man walking behind her wearing a beater that says 'ORGASM DONER' with 'Friday' on the back. Or the 6 year old wearing a T shirt saying 'I LOVE MY SELF'. Seriously? 
4. Id rather pay a tip and get served promptly. Here the tip is already included and you LITERALLY dine for hours and hours. 30 mins to get greeted, 30 more to order, 30 until food arrives & so on. Sometimes, we are in a hurry or have a timeline. Also, my husband likes beer....waiting an hour and a half in between coldie #1 & #2, not fun for me. 

I'm sure you were sick of hearing all my ooooohhh'ing & aaaahh'ing for one blog. So, there's  your dose of the Real Deal Holyfield AC ya know

No comments:

Post a Comment